MALAYSIAN authorities are investigating claims that plane wreckage found in the heart of a Filipino jungle last month could be missing MH370.

According to reports, a local teenager and a few of his friends were out hunting for birds when they stumbled on the crashed aircraft on Sugbay Island in Tawi Tawi in early September.

The group also reportedly found skeletons in the pilot’s chair and cabin as well as a piece of cloth said to be a Malaysian flag.

While there are no photographs of the wreckage, a report about the alleged discovery has been filed with Sandakan police in Malaysia.

The report was made by the teenager’s uncle Jamil Omar, a local audiovisual technician.

Mr Omar, who doesn’t live on the island, told Malaysian TV channel Astro Awani that residents had been talking about the discovery for weeks.
His aunt, who had been visiting him in Sabah, told him about the find.

“The residents on the island hunt birds for food and build their houses on the water. They don’t watch television and as such they have no knowledge of the outside world,” Mr Omar told Astro Awani.

“She (Siti Kayam, his aunt) was shocked to learn that the item, that was removed from the aircraft wreckage as claimed by the teenager, was the Malaysian flag.”

Mr Omar said the piece of cloth was still intact but had already been washed and added that several police officers had come to his home to record his aunt’s statement and took the piece of cloth with them.

Despite the location of the wreckage being far from the current official search area as well as Reunion Island, where the flaperon of the missing airliner washed ashore, the Malaysian government is taking it seriously and has directed it’s Civil Aviation department and the Ministry’s Air Accident Investigation Division to look into the matter, Channel News Asia reported.

Malaysia’s police are also investigating the claims and have asked police in the Philippines to verify the claims.

“There was no photograph to support the claim so we are relying on our counterpart to check,” Inspector-General of Police, Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar, told reporter on Sunday Khalid, adding that it could take one or two days before anything could be verified, The International Business Times reported.

SOURCEThe Advertiser

Leave your Facebook Comment